We’ve compiled some recent news items that concern isolation and loneliness amongst older people across the UK, as well as updates that may be of interest to you as Silver Line Friend volunteers.
- Friends of the Elderly reported in August that there will be a 40% rise in older people reporting loneliness by 2030 due to the rise in the internet cutting off local services. To read the full article click here
- In July The Independent ran an article that told us Britain has become the loneliness capital of Europe. So how did we come so lonely? To read the full article click here
- We have a growing number of fantastic, and very different, companies now working with us as volunteers. Most recently, Consultus Care, Mishcon des Reya and Vodafone – so a big thank you for joining us in supporting older people and for giving time and encouragement.
- We are also working with the Rotary Club in London who have offered their time and considerable experience to join forces with The Silver Line. We will train 50 of their members to become Silver Line Friends by October, with many more to follow!
- Over 3,500 retailers will donate to us at no extra cost to you, if you simply shop online via Give as you Live. Join and start shopping today to help us beat loneliness.
We’re always interested to hear of any stories or news items that may be happening in your local area, and remember you can keep up to date with our news stories via Twitter and Facebook too.